Monday 21 May 2012

Time to descend

Adrian and I have long finished camp festering. Its too cold. Little sun equals no power equals text blog only. At 5pm Bang on schedule the radio sparks up: "John, its Matt... We're on the summit of the Sugar Tooth and can't see a damn thing. Plus it's snowing."

I give him the forecast which is promising cloud and precipitation plus a full on meltdown at the start of the week.

I guess they take 5 mins to discuss through the options and the radio comes back to life: "Jon here Johnny- we're coming down - get the kettle on."

With his 400mm lens Adrian spots them a little later- tiny dots dots descending an ice colour that runs from a notch left of the summit. I take a look and see one dot of a person abb to another on a belay below a spur of rock in a sea of ice. I imagine them shoulder to shoulder pulling ropes through working hard to set up the next abseil.

I light the stove and wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment